Sunday, December 14, 2008

Attention slackers!

Dear beloved but exasperating and dilatory AP Lit students,

As of 8:30 tonight, the last Hamlet blog has drawn two probing comments from Matt Putnam, a brief but interesting one from Alexander, a typically thoughtful one from Michelle, and…one from me -- that's it. The snow is nice and I'm glad like the rest of you that we won't have school tomorrow, but please don't delay until the last minute. Just once I would like to come into class having had the chance to read all of your comments carefully beforehand. I am genuinely interested in them and I love to see the give and take between you guys, and even take part in it myself. But I think many of you are going to wait another 24 hours before you give it another thought. So…

If you want any part of the 10 point credit for posting a worthy comment, do so before 3 pm tomorrow. Any later stuff I'll read, but it will have no market value.

At the same time I have but a handful of thesis statements despite the posted assignment for Thursday and my immediate follow-up post requesting you send in yours by e-mail. For this 10 point assignment, then, I am crediting those whose statements I have seen.

I know this is rather a mercenary and rigid approach to what should be a free and open exchange of ideas. If you don't like it and think it's a shame, remember that I feel the same way, too. But these things make up an important part of our class.

No comments: